I was bedridden for the last couple of days, down with stomach infection- count vomiting, nausea, loss of appetite, mild fever- everything that you’d not want to have. One week after- I am finally recuperating, and I’ve turned towards a whole lot of healthy habits- No Indian Chai but green tea without sugar, no coffee, no fizz drinks and one portion of salad everyday. Complete cut down on red meat and lots oily fish, no flour but wheat flour and couscous and of course- no alcohol for sometime now. Honestly, i don’t even miss it.
And boy was I sleeping with junk withdrawal and medications!
So when I finally couldn’t sleep anymore, I picked up one of my old rag like cushions (one that I have been secretly hiding from human eyes) and gave it a makeover. And can I tell you that she seems to take to her new avatar quite well! Actually, in my opinion who wouldn’t want a shabby chic makeover? I would. Dowse me in retro green and polka!
Anyway, this is my first iron-on transfer project and I have to agree that it’s a fantastic way of image transferring. Although I did not print it on freezer paper and iron it, I bought this off Hobby Ideas, but the result is so easy and stunning and I’m itching to do my own prints.
My cushion cover was made from cheap drop cloth and came with lace on top. This is at least 10 years old and the fabric is sturdy as ever. So, when the lace on top started laddering, my heart didn’t want to throw it away. Instead, I turned it into a new cushion cover for my little space and also added a bit of vintage, dull bling.
Here’s a picture of the steps:
The old doily cushion shown above is the one among two that is still in good condition. Unfortunately i already cut the bad one out before photographing- I hope you forgive me for not being able to show this part of the detail.
You see, I love doilies. I won’t mess with them even if they are frayed unless it starts looking ugly. My original idea was to attach a whimsical patch in the center and sew the surrounding doily to its circumference. Unfortunately, the laddering had gone so bad that it was hard attaching the patch. It is then that I found out that the lace is only attached to the fabric of the cushion on the edges with a scalloped pattern. The one covering the cushion was loosely stretched and fit over the fabric. Perfect for a makeover!!!
So I cut the lace from the edges and kept the scalloped trim.
Next, I cut out the image from the transfer paper, placed it face up, covered it with a paper and ironed on it for about 30-50 seconds with pressure.
Once that’s done, I pulled off the paper and the plastic and voila- there you have a beautiful shabby rose!
To give it a bit personal touch, I stitched dull glass beads on its sides to add some vintage bling!
It screams chic and erm..autumn to me for some reason! But whatever it translates to, I’m loving this new addition in my teeny apartment.
Coastal Charm – Nifty Thrifty
Vintage Wanna Bee – Talent Tuesday
From My Front Porch To Yours – Treasure Hunt Thursday
The Vintage Farmhouse – Creative Things Thursday
At the Picket Fence – Inspiration Friday
Tatertots and Jello – Weekend Wrap Up Party